Sunday, January 10, 2016

Montevideo, Uruguay

We leave Buenos Aires on the 2nd of Jan for Uruguay (but we return a few days later). We spent two days in Montevideo, but there wasn't much going for it. It was also the most expensive place we'd been to so far, although it got even more expensive when we moved on to Punta del Este two days later. The best thing we found in Montevideo was an Irish pub, so myself and Ian, Craig's mate, made the most of it and stayed there until after 6am!

This is not Montevideo, it's not even Uruguay. It's where I'm currently blogging from, Viña del Mar, Chile. I'm staying in a 'resedencia' (read "someone's house"!). Currently have the place to myself so it's not so bad. However, I have my doubts that I'll be able to completely update the blog tonight - there are 4 posts/locations to go! We've travelled far too much in a small space of time - but we've not really wanted to hang around these places either - read on!

The boat we take from Buenos Aires to Uruguay. It doesn't go to Montevideo, we take a bus from a place called Colonia 'cos it's a cheaper option than taking a boat all the way there!



Off the boat and onto a bus

We arrive in Montevideo and I buy dinner. It wasn't cheap, approximately AU$20/£10 per meal, plus drinks. At least the chicken and chips were edible, Ian could hardly touch that "pizza"!

Nothing overwhelming about the main square...

...or this weird looking building, although it looks familiar. Does it have some significance..?


The best thing about Montevideo was this band in the Irish pub. It was a Saturday night and things were looking dire until myself and Ian found the street where it all happened (about 4 bars/clubs!). This band was really good, not like me to say that about a band with no drummer!

Our hotel, fortunately we were able to check out and leave!


After managing to leave the hotel two days later we walk to the wrong bus station and come across this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment