Sunday, January 10, 2016

ValparaIiso, Chile

Valparaiso has significant history, if you read the South American Handbook!! Apologies again, I've been blogging and sipping beer for a while now!!

Actually, the place was a bit of a breath of fresh air after the last few places I'd been in. There was almost a return to the 'simple' life, by that I suppose I mean that there was signs of poverty, but the place was split between what appeared to be an attempt at tourism, a small 'city' culture, and the "bohemian" feel (as described in the South American Handbook!!). Ok, here we go..!
The border crossing took ages. I'd done a 'land' crossing before, but never on the same bus. It had to be coordinated by a guy on the bus. We all had to get off and on various times to get passports stamped, and all the luggage had to come off and go through 'airport style' scanners, in our presence.

Snow on the hills at the border.

The border is at altitude, my decent into Chile from Argentina.


Sea lions - remember them..?!!


This coastal path was interesting...

...oh, here's the sea lions again!! Funny watching them take many attempts to launch themselves onto this ancient structure. The guy on the left failed time and time again...

Here we are back to the abandonment! God knows how long this train's been here, but it isn't a 'feature'!

Have you read the South American Handbook yet?! Apparently Valparaiso has suffered form lots of earthquakes, whether this is a result or not I'm not sure - you tell me!

Looks more like Colombia or Ecuador here, but there's various parts to the place.

Likewise, a guy selling empanadas!!

A stone's throw away and it appears a lot more modern.

Sorry, it had to be done!!

This is where I stayed. All this 'art' is a tourist attraction. There were guided tours down my street...



Stray dogs everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment